Houston automobile Accident Lawyer
Understanding Auto Accidents
Our Houston auto accident attorney knows that automobile accident cases and auto accident lawsuits in Houston and throughout the country are usually based upon the law of negligence. A person who negligently operates a vehicle may be required to pay for any damages to persons or property caused by their negligence. A driver is found negligent if they fail to use reasonable care under the circumstances. Examples of driver negligence include driving too fast for the road conditions or failing to pay proper attention.
The law may impose punitive or exemplary damages against a driver for malicious or grossly negligent conduct. To be liable for gross negligence, the driver must have disregarded a high risk of causing substantial harm to others. Although excessive speed by itself may not show gross negligence, excessive speed combined with other factors—such as speeding in heavy road congestion, with brakes known to be defective, or on a narrow residential street, may be sufficient to prove gross negligence.
In certain cases, factors unrelated to a particular driver’s conduct can cause a car accident. Under the law of product liability, an automobile manufacturer, supplier, or dealer may be responsible for injuries caused by a defective or unsafe part in the automobile, as in the Firestone tire litigation. If a mechanic fails to repair a vehicle properly, and the failure causes an accident, the negligent mechanic and his repair shop may be liable for injuries sustained in the accident. Other factors such as poorly maintained or badly designed roads, or malfunctioning traffic control signals, can contribute to causing a traffic accident.
Car Accident Attorney in Houston
At the Law Offices of Alexander M. Gurevich in Houston, our car accident attorney uses experience to investigate every possible contributing cause of an auto accident to ensure that you receive full compensation for your injuries. You need a Houston car wreck lawyer who can take over the investigation of your case so that you can concentrate on your physical recovery. We help you find an appropriate medical specialist to provide treatment. We may be able to arrange for your medical care providers to wait for payment until your case is resolved through settlement or trial.
Have You Been in a Car Wreck in Houston?
In Houston, Texas law (Tex. Transp. Code § 601.051) requires motor vehicles in the state to be covered by insurance or other proof of financial responsibility. Effective January 1, 2011, the required minimum amounts of motor vehicle liability insurance coverage required by Tex. Transp. Code § 601.072 were raised to:
- $30,000 for bodily injury to or death of one person in one auto accident
- $60,000 for bodily injury to or death of two or more persons in one auto accident
- $25,000 for damage to or destruction of property of others in one auto accident
When our Houston auto accident lawyer represents a person injured in a car accident, one of the first things we do is investigate all possible insurance coverage. Applicable insurance coverage may include:
- Liability insurance: The liability portion of an insurance policy pays for defending and settling negligence claims made against the insured. If you are injured by the negligence of a defendant, our auto accident lawyer makes a claim under the bodily injury liability coverage of the negligent defendant’s insurance policy.
- Medical Payments (Med-Pay) and Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Coverage: You can purchase optional automobile insurance that provides coverage if you or your passengers are hurt in an accident, regardless of whose fault caused the auto accident. If you or your passengers are hurt in an auto accident, you could look to your Med-Pay coverage for the payment of your medical bills and the PIP coverage for payment of medical expenses, lost wages, and other economic loss caused by your injury.
- Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Benefits: Two other related types of voluntary coverage you should purchase are uninsured and underinsured motorist benefits. Our accident lawyer claims against these types of coverage if you are hurt by a negligent driver who illegally fails to carry the required minimum amount of liability insurance coverage or has minimum coverage that is inadequate to compensate you for your injuries.
- Collision Coverage: Collision coverage is voluntary coverage that provides for the repair or replacement of your own vehicle after an auto accident, regardless of fault. If your car is damaged in an accident, you must prove negligence against a defendant to recover under the defendant’s property liability insurance coverage. You do not need to prove fault to recover under your own policy’s collision coverage. However, your collision coverage likely requires a deductible.
Determining which insurance coverage should pay for your injuries can be very complicated when several drivers and policies are involved. Our car accident attorney understands insurance law, in Houston and Texas, and we are skilled at negotiating with insurance companies. Leave the insurance hassles to us!
Call for a Free Consultation With a Houston Car Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one is a victim of an automobile accident or car wreck, call the Law Offices of Alexander M. Gurevich at (713) 224-9600 to connect with an experienced Houston accident attorney today. Whether you were a driver, passenger, or pedestrian hurt in a car accident in the Houston area, find out if our accident lawyer can help. Your initial consultation is free of charge, and if we agree to accept your case, we work on a contingent fee basis. This means you pay for our services only if you receive a monetary award or recovery of funds. Do not delay! You may have a valid claim and be entitled to compensation for your injuries, but you must settle your claim or file a lawsuit before the statute of limitations expires.